Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Butcher Block Island Before & After

 

I redid this butcher block island for a client and am giddy with the results!

The before …

100_0701

 

And after! (A little styling never hurts either, right!?)

100_0969

 

For the top I wanted a hand rubbed finish opposed to a manufactured finish so I decided to give Tung Oil a go. Have you used it? This was my first time and most definitely won’t be my last. I LOVE how it turned out, and after five coats it’s got to stand up to wear and tear!

100_0971

 

100_0974

 

100_0970

 

The Process

Prep – Clean and sand

Prime – Zinsser Oil Base

Paint – Benjamin Moore Aura (White Dove),

then Poly with Varathane brand in Satin

Top – Sanded and then stained with 2 coats of Minwax (Dark Walnut)

and finished off with 5 coats of Tung Oil

 

I don’t know if it’s just the warm up in the temps or what but I have got the itch. (Not that itch … ha ha ) The furniture redo itch! I have bought a few things to refinish this week and will be posting on Facebook anything that’s up for grabs so be sure to follow along!

 

Thanks for reading!

Kristin

 


Linked up here:
Osie Moats, Somewhat Simple, Tatertots & Jello, Six Sisters Stuff, Lolly Jane (The Scoop), Not Just a Housewife, Savvy Southern Style,House of Smiths

8 comments:

  1. OOOOOO I love how it turned out! I want to try that Tung Oil sometime too! Nice work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it! It's a little time consuming because you have to wait 12 hours between coats and need quite a few coats but it's worth it for sure!

      Delete
  2. How is the Tung Oil? I've never used it. Cute project!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first time using it and I was skeptical until about the 3-4th coat ... and then I fell in love!! You have to wait 12 hours in between coats so it's a little time consuming, but I love the natural finish it gives! Give it a try :)

      Delete
  3. Super cute, I will be following you :) keep posting the awesome redo's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I’m hosting a new linky party at http://hickorytrailblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/efforts-and-assets-linky-party-1.html

    I would love to have you!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was diagnosed with COPD with 55-60% lung capacity. and Hiv, My doctor just said all the crying , stomping your feet will not change it so just accept it and basically patted me on the back and sent me home to die. I was devastated and was afraid to do anything. I stopped riding my bike, I was afraid to do anything that would cause any exertion. It consumed my thoughts with every breath and the fear of what to expect was almost more than I could deal with. So I couldn't get myself all time I decided to find a herbal cure online and I came across Doctor Itua on how he cure several people suffering from Hiv, and Herpes I gave him a call on this Number +2348149277967 also chat on whatsapp he gave me all the details about the cure i paid him for the medicine after 5 working days i receive my herbal medicine ,I use it for two weeks that is how I get Cured and today I'm living healthy and fine I give him thanks also promise him to testify about his work,He Can also cure the following diseases..Copd,Herpes,Alzheimer's disease,carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Parkinson's ,Epilepsy,Cancer,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis,diabetes,Coeliac disease,Infertility, Asthma.Contact...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com..Whatsapp Number...+2348149277976

    ReplyDelete