Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Bedroom Set Before and After

This before and after is actually part of a bedroom, family room and kitchen overhaul that I have been working on with my Mom and Dad. (more on that in another post!) They built their home about 20 years ago and are ready to freshen things up a bit. It’s all coming together really well and I have had my hand on a few projects to help them out.

These beauties were what they were using for their bedroom furniture. They picked them up at a garage sale years ago so who knows how old they are, but what we do know is they needed some love!

 

Before …

DSC02784

 

DSC02782

 

DSC02785

 

DSC02786

 

 

After …

DSC03059

 

DSC03061

 

DSC03064

 

DSC03065

 

DSC03069

 

DSC03071

 

DSC03075

 

DSC03076

I love the transformation that a little love can do!

We decided to go black with stained tops. I really, really, really (can I emphasize the word really any more??) love how the tops break it up a bit and give the furniture a bit more character.

After debating on hardware, we ended up going with the original, which I think was the perfect match. It was like that hardware was meant for the new finish! And the best part? I didn’t have to do a thing to it! I love the little bit of old with the new … it’s the perfect marriage of styles if you ask me!

 

The process -

Clean and sand surfaces

Prime with a clear shellac

Paint – Valspar (whatever their true, pre mixed black is)

Distress with 60 grit

Stain tops – Minwax Dark Walnut

Poly by Varathane

Linked with
Thrifty Decor Chick
At the Picket Fence

3 comments:

  1. These turned out great! Sooo much better than before! And I really love the stained tops too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky am I to have such talent in the family - I don't think it came from me. Thanks for the great update! Dad and I love them!!! We are excited to see how the cabinets turn out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just hopped over from Thrifty Decor Chick. Love the "new" furniture! I'll be checking back in to see more, I'm sure. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete